Transporting a bicycle on board a Hawaiian Airlines flight
Transportation costs to Honolulu are unconditionally billed for Hawaiian Airlines, 15,000 yen one way and $ 150 return. The maximum height is 292 cm (115 inches) on all three sides and the maximum weight is 23 kg. There’s nothing wrong with the size and weight, but a return trip over $ 275 is a good expense. By the way, some airlines offer a free bicycle transport service. However, carrying a bicycle on a Hawaiian Airlines plane is always cheaper because the ticket price is usually reduced.
Therefore, to keep costs down as much as possible, you can think about putting two of the three bikes in a box in the size! Then the total of $ 827 for 3 units will be $ 551, and 1 unit will cost $ 91.85 cheaper. You can go for a high class dinner.
Two road bikes, a cardboard box and packing materials weigh less than 23 kg? Also, for safety reasons, it is not possible to pack so loosely. You could take out all the bikes that could be taken apart into two boxes, pack the bikes, pack them one by one at the lightest weight, and put both boxes in a big sized box. Disassembled pedals, stands and saddles must be well packed so that they can be placed in the box by themselves. Still, there is no problem with the weight.
Basic concept when packing (when using a cardboard box exclusively for bicycles):
– Pack it in a set of seven pieces so that it will fit in the box of the bike.
– The packed width must not exceed the width of the rear wheel axle.
– By adjusting it perfectly, the bike will not move inside, so it will not be damaged even if you handle it roughly.
– Pack the bicycle so that it is as long as possible and, if it moves back and forth, secure it with packing material.
What you need for packing and assembly?
– Bicycle box;
– Packing material 1 A thick sponge sheet (8-10 mm), preferably in the form of a pipe, is easier to pack, or small small;
– Packing material 2 Large plastic bag to cover the handle and front fork;
– Packing material 3 Cardboard handle, saddle (seat post), protection of packing material;
– Paper tape Large masking tape;
– Cable ties (cable tie, vinyl tape) Large (width 8mm, length 50cm or more) Small (width 5mm, length 40cm or more) 15 each If short, connect pliers, scissors;
– Tools needed for disassembly and assembly of portable tools, etc;
– Pedal wrench;
– Front metal fittings;
– Front hub protector 1 left and right;
– Rear wheel shaft protector 1 left and right;
– Cloth tape or wide transparent vinyl tape (used when closing or strengthening the box);
– PP tape and PP tape cap (to easily close the box when opening in the middle);
– Bag to store options and removed parts * Not used this time;
– Helmet bag.
Carefully disassemble your bike and pack it by following these steps
To keep the chain from slipping off and bring the rear derailleur in as much as possible, shift the forward and reverse gears so that the chain is closest to the frame.
In case of electric gear shifting, remove the battery and place the removed battery in your luggage just in case.
The crank angle should be about 8 o’clock seen from the gear side, to insert the left crank between the spokes and to fix the pedal hole on the gear side and the rear wheel (remove the front wheel later and complete the front fork.If the crank touches the ground when it touches the ground, increase the angle so that it does not touch the ground.)
Pack the left crank with cardboard to avoid interference with the spokes.
Bleed the front and rear tires.
– Disassembling the bike
Remove accessories such as lighting, cycle computer, bracket, seat tube bottle cage, bottle and pedals.
Remove the front wheel, seat post and handlebars and mark the mounting position before removing the handlebars.
Remove the front wheel quick release and attach protective gear to the left and right hub holes.
Pack the front fork in a plastic and cardboard bag
Pack the drop handle in plastic and cardboard bag
Pack the saddle and seat post in a plastic and cardboard bag so that the tip of the seat post does not interfere with the bike.
Wrap a protective material (packing material) around the part that comes in contact when the front sheet is aligned with the frame. Wrap protective material around the front sheet if necessary.
Position the front wheel according to the frame by inserting the left crank between the spokes.
Secure the front wheel. Secure at least 3 places evenly with vinyl tape so that the foil comes to the center of the backing material, and do not over tighten.
Insert the lower handle of the lowering handle between the front forks. Position and secure the handle so that it fits the width of the rear wheel axle.
Attach the rear shaft protector to the left and right of the rear wheel shaft and secure it with vinyl tape if it is likely to come off.
In the case of Hawaiian Airlines, there was no description for all of them, so will you have to be able to accept that? The packaging effort will be wasted, but you can pay for another.