The number of checked bags on board United Airlines flights
For travel on United within the U.S. 50 states and to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas U.S.V.I, you may check two bags free of charge:
– The maximum size of each checked bag is 62 inches/157 cm (length + width + height).
– The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 pounds/23 kg each.
– Each checked bag must have the name of the person traveling on the outside of the bag, and we recommend on the inside as well.
– United’s 1K Premier Executive, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold members are allowed a third piece of checked baggage free of charge.
International allowance, size and weight rules vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details regarding acceptance and restrictions .
You may substitute bowling, fishing, golfing, shooting, or skiing equipment for one piece of the two allowable checked pieces. Military personnel may substitute one duffel/B-4 bag free in lieu of their largest checked piece. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details regarding acceptance and restrictions for these or other checked items.
The following information for excess baggage applies to flights within the U.S. 50 states and to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas U.S.V.I. Any additional charges listed below are collected on a one-way basis.
Checked baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance will be charged as follows: $80.00 per piece
The following information for overweight baggage applies to flights within the U.S. 50 states and to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas:
– Checked baggage weighing over 50 pounds/23 kg will be charged $25.00 per piece.
– These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or oversized baggage.
– Baggage weighing more than 99 pounds/45 kg will not be accepted as checked baggage.
– Any checked bag with a single dimension more than 62 inches/157 cm is oversized.
– Checked baggage which exceeds 62 inches/157 cm will be charged $80.00 per piece.
– Any bag which is more than 115 inches/292 cm will not be accepted.
– If a checked piece of baggage is oversize and overweight, the charges will be added together.
Checked Baggage Restriction to Latin America
During the peak winter travel period of November 1 – January 13, customers are limited to the number and size of their checked baggage when traveling to Guatemala City, Guatemala / Mexico City, Mexico / San Jose, Costa Rica / and San Salvador, El Salvador.
During this period, customers are allowed two free pieces of checked baggage limited to 62 linear inches/157 cm (l+w+h) and 70 pounds/32kg. Any extra baggage, overweight baggage or oversize baggage cannot be accepted during the restricted period. Pets, as part of a customer’s checked baggage, are not accepted.
Additionally, only one box is allowed as part of a customer’s free allowance. These checked items must be in its original packaging.
United’s Premier Executive 1K, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold members are allowed three pieces of checked baggage free of charge.
If you have additional questions, please contact your Travel Agent or United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 in the U.S. for assistance.
Cabin Class/Program Status
|Free baggage allowance||Maximum weight per suitcase||Maximum bag size|
23 kg/ 50 lb
Linear measurement of 158 cm/62 in. (length + width + height)
|First class or business class||2||
32 kg/ 70 lb
|– Global Services
– Premier Executive (Business)
– Star Alliance Gold
Military personnel on business trip
|3 army, sailor or B-4 backpacks||32Kg||
linear measurement of 292 cm / 115 in. (length + width + height)
United Airlines has modified the rules concerning the baggage franchise sur s ses vols internationaux. Ainsi, chaque passer au départ et to the destination des Etats-Unis devra desormais enregistrer au maximum deux bagages, d’a poids maximum of 23 kg chacun, et will be authorized to attach a bagage to the main in cabin.
Passengers transporting luggage exceeding 23 kg and passing 32 kg to pay a supplement of 25 USD for baggage.
Cette nouvelle règle, approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT) americain permits the United d’harmoniser to be a baggage franchise policy to the l’international avec celle appliquée sur ses liaisons domestiques.
It is necessary to reduce the cost of prize in charge and carburant, which sont plus light when the transport of luggage plus lords is available. In other words:
- 2 bags enregistrés of maximum 23 kg chacun autorisés + 1 bagage à main. Dimensions linéaires maximales de chaque bagage : 157 cm.
- Pour les membres Elite du program Mileage Plus : 2 bags enregistrés of maximum 32 kg chacun autorisés + 1 bagage à main. Dimensions linéaires maximales de chaque bagage : 157 cm.
- Pour les passengers voyageant in United Business and in United First : 3 bags enregistrés of maximum 32 kg chacun autorisés + 1 bagage à main. Dimensions linéaires maximales de chaque bagage : 157 cm.
United Airlines changes baggage allowance on flights to Brazil
United Airlines economy tickets now only have one piece of 23kg baggage included in the fare. To register a second 23 kg bag, the additional cost is US $ 65.
|1 baggage of 23kg||2 baggages of 32kg c||2ª baggage=US$65
3ª baggage = US$150
US$100 per baggage between 23kg and 32kg
US$ per baggage between 33kg e 45kg
United: more fees for checked baggage at the airport
Travelers waiting to arrive at the airport to check their bags on United Airlines flights will have to pay more, but those who pay in advance can avoid the recent increase in the $ 5 charge per bag.
United Airlines has announced that the first baggage check-in fee at the airport will be $ 35 and a second piece of checked baggage will cost $ 45.
Charges apply to flights starting on or after March 6. However, the fee will remain at $ 30 and $ 40 respectively if passengers pay for their checked baggage at any time before checking in online.
Charges apply to flights within the United States and short-haul flights to the Caribbean and Latin America.